Uppsala Centre for Sustainable Development is an interdisciplinary centre established at Uppsala University and the Department of Earth Sciences. The Centre is based on a collaboration between Uppsala University (UU) and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU).
The Uppsala Centre for Sustainable Development
aims to be a catalyst for research and education on sustainable development at Uppsala’s two universities, as well as a place for students and researchers. These objectives will be achieved by:
- Contributing to increased cooperation in the field of sustainable development from global, regional, and local perspectives, shared between scientists and teachers from different faculties, and between universities around the world.
- Being a forum for critical dialogue on scientific grounds promoting the development of knowledge
- Stimulating interdisciplinary research between researchers at both universities and all faculty areas within the field of sustainable development
- Stimulating the study of courses? within and between the two university faculty areas within the field of sustainable development
- Increase the interest in the knowledge base through outreach activities such as seminars, conferences, and publications, etc.
CSD Uppsala also includes these programmes and projects:
is a network of more than 190 universities and other institutions for higher learning throughout the Baltic region. The network is coordinated by a secretariat at Uppsala University.
is an interdisciplinary research forum for PhD students and researchers that focuses on environmental and development studies.
offers unique student-led interdisciplinary education, a transdisciplinary research school, and a forum to stimulate deep discussion and innovative action on the most pressing environment, development and sustainability issues of our time.
works to ensure that the unique expertise on water issues gathered in Uppsala is used to meet society’s needs within this field.
DevNet is a Swedish research network on sustainable development, based at Uppsala Centre for Sustainable Development. DevNet was established on January 1, 2008, with a one-year planning grant from Sida/Sarec, and has received a three-year grant for the period 2009-2011.
The project has two objectives: to advance the Swedish research front on civil society in developing countries, and to strengthen research-based knowledge about civil society among Swedish actors within international development cooperation (Sida, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, non-governmental organisations and consultants).
is an initiative to increase the internationalisation of research in sustainable development, as well as to generate new interfaces, research projects, international conferences and workshops.